Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Favourite Blue

It has been a long, frigid winter and many plants have perished in the greenhouse on the coldest nights. However I was thrilled to see that almost all my clematis cuttings and seedlings have survived, despite being left on one of the coldest areas of the greenhouse.
Among these are several cuttings I made last year of a plant that I grew from seed that was collected from Clematis 'Helsinborg'.  When it finally flowered it turned out to be coloured a very lovely clear blue, quite unlike its parent which is described as having slightly twisted tepals and, together with its steminoides, coloured a deep purple or mauve. C. 'Helsingborg is a cross of C. ochotensis and C. alpina and it looks was if "my favourite blue" has inherited its form from its alpina parent. Blue tepals with white staminoides are also common in C. alpina.
Clematis cutttings and seedlings. Including my favourite blue.

My favourite blue.

Clematis 'Helsingborg' one of the parents of my favourite blue.

11 comments:

LauraH said...

That favourite blue is just lovely, so nice to look at this evening with yet more snow falling.

Barry Parker said...

Laura, One of those cuttings has your name on it!

Anne said...

What a beautiful blue. Would love to grow that!

storyworks said...

Oh so very lovely.

Hmm? I wonder if that perfect blue clematis would like to grow in a container on my balcony?

storyworks said...

Truly the perfect blue.

I wonder if that lovely clematis would survive on my balcony?

Barry Parker said...

Anne, I have a few cuttings to spare.

Elke, It's worth a try!

Anne said...

Hi Barry,
Thanks. Would love to try; i enjoy growing clematis in my little garden. I live in Toronto so could pick up some time.
Lime.leaf@yahoo.ca

Alain Charest said...

It is indeed an unusual blue - very much a morning glory "heavenly blue".

Barry Parker said...

Thanks Alain, I thought I might be a biased as to its uniqueness, so it's good to get a conformation from someone like yourself.

Valerie Knapp said...

love that blue!

Valerie Knapp said...

love that blue!